Thursday, March 14, 2013

Northern Lights

One of our hopes on this trip was to see the northern lights, however when we were looking at the weather forecast with Stephen it did not look good with clouds forecast every night. The first night we saw them I wasn't sure if that was what I was seeing at all. There was a glow on the horizon, a bit like a city in the distance, except there were no cities in that direction. After a lot of watching and discussion with Christiane, it was decided that it was the northern lights, but that they were a long way away and the only clouds around were between us and them. The next night we again saw a faint glow above us, but it was even less than the previous night. On night three the clouds had rolled in and obliterated our view of the sky, so we had decided there was no point even checking for the lights that night.

On my way back from the toilet before bed I noticed that the stars were again visible so I turned off my torch and turned my gaze skyward to see a greenish glow in the sky. It was still mild, but never the less I woke Jason up and went back outside to watch. We must have stayed outside for an hour or so, as the lights waxed and waned, changed shape, colour and intensity. Although we had technically seen the northern lights previously, this night I actually felt we saw them. Just brilliant!


No comments: