Sunday, April 21, 2013

Don't you like my poufs?

Fez wasn't our favourite city. It didn't help that we arrived on a Friday when everything is shut. Walking through almost deserted narrow alleyways felt eerie and the feeling of 'life' that we had loved in Marrakech was missing. We did partake in a cooking course, making a traditional tajine in a pressure cooker. Our chef assured us that hardly anyone actually cooks in a tajine as it would take 4-5 hours. This fitted with what we had seen of Moroccon picnics, which all seemed to include pressure cookers on portable gas stoves.

There were a few nice moments in Fes. On our first foray into the deserted streets the door to the mosque near our Dar was open and it was spectacular. Aware that non-Muslims aren't allowed within the mosque, I wasn't sure what the photo etiquette would be. So using gestures I tried to ask if it was ok for me to take a photo through the door. My question was slightly misunderstood and instead he took my camera inside and took photos of the areas I couldn't see! Unfortunately a good camera doesn't make good photos in the wrong hands, so I only have very dark, blurry photos, but it was definitely the thought that counted.

And of course I can't help but giggle every time someone calls out plaintively "What? Don't you like my poufs?" I'm childish, I know.

No comments: