Friday, April 29, 2016

Backpacker diet

As I sit here watching Jason take in another item of clothing I feel compelled to write about the backpacker diet.  It’s a simple diet, and its efficacy can not be denied, given my informal observation that very few backpackers are overweight.  The premise of the diet is simple and at its heart follows the motto one local used to describe backpackers “more time, less money.”  Well actually he said “Mas tiempo, menos dinero.” and was referring to our decision to wait for a bus, rather than pay more for a taxi - but the sentiment is correct.  

The more time, less money way of life means that you try to avoid buying food, with many backpackers living on only one real meal a day, plus those free pancake breakfasts.  Any food you do purchase must provide maximum nutrition/calories for the cost.  There is also the eternal backpacker dilemma of whether to use their limited funds to purchase alcohol or food.  I’m sure you can guess which wins out most of the time.  (This must be why we’re bigger than most backpackers we meet, we choose food over alcohol.)  The other side of the equation is to avoid paying money for transport.  Taxi? It’s only 2km to my hostel, I can walk with all my belongings on my back.  Bus?  It’s only 6km, I can walk, it’s not like I’m in a rush and who knows what I’ll see on my way.  Then when your diet needs that extra boost, food poisoning is just the thing to drop those last few kilos.  


I think I should market it.  It’s got to be a lot more enjoyable than most intensive weight loss programs, well except for the food poisoning part.

No comments: